Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think Trump will bring back the guillotine?

Do you think Trump will bring back the guillotine?

It has been reported that Trump has talked about bringing back death by firing squad, by hanging, and by guillotine if he is re-elected. His reasoning is that it would be more dramatic than the lethal injection method. I bet Trump has dreams of being in a photo op with him holding up a severed head. Cheers!

Posted - February 15, 2023

Responses

The thing is, who gets to define what a RINO is? What if one principled Republican has different opinions than another?
      February 17, 2023 8:11 PM MST

There are basic principles that make one a Republican. If you find yourself agreeing with the left more often...then you are not a Republican...you are an Independent or a Libertarian etc. If so then own it and do not call yourself a Republican.   
    (You in this response is the general you not any specific individuals)

Basically: Pro life, lower taxes, pro military (peace through strength), strong border, religious freedom, free speech, etc...

If you go straying to far from any of these, you will be considered a RINO. 

February 18, 2023 7:43 AM MST

What about people who support those things, including a few military people I know, who quit being Republicans because of Trump? Are they now Democrats in name only? And is Trump such a demagogue that being a Republican means being loyal to him?
      February 18, 2023 9:22 AM MST

If Trump made them leave the Rep party....they were already an Independent to start. Nothing Trump did policy wise was anti RRepublican or leftist. Unless you count not starting another war....that upset several establishment Reps. ie. Bolton and other war hawks. (War hawks are in both parties)

Being a loyal Republicans means 
    being loyal to the policy positions....

February 18, 2023 5:52 PM MST

These were lifelong GOP voters like my brother, who loyally supported Ford, Reagan, both Bushes, McCain, and Romney. A career Army chaplain whose policy priorities are strong national defense, gun rights, lower taxes, and support of Israel. Couldn’t stand Hillary Clinton but believes that the GOP sold its soul by nominating a demagogue, and that the stunt Trump tried to pull in 2020 was a disgrace to the party and the nation he loves and has served in Afghanistan and Iraq.

He voted for Biden, and has vowed never to vote Republican for any office until Trump is out of the picture. And he’s a guy who can’t stomach many things Democrats support.

It’s important that you know the damage your hero has done to your party.

This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at February 19, 2023 7:21 PM MST
      February 18, 2023 7:49 PM MST

Supporting Romney and McCain already means it is not about policy. The majority of Republican base was not happy with either of of those nominees but the establishment were...

There are 3 steps to the stool of conservation. social issues, economic and rmilitary...many people are only 2 but that is what makes them RINO, they actually are a different party but in US only 2 have a chancw to win. u
    Trump was the first Rep since Reagan who did not betray the base.. and rear why we want him back.

February 19, 2023 5:43 AM MST

But how do you rectify that with the need for a national party to be a large tent occupied by diverse people with a range of views and opinions? It’s difficult to win elections otherwise.
      February 19, 2023 7:33 AM MST

I believe Winning an election is about get the base out. McCain and Romney lost because people stayed home. And the Dems got their base out. 

But no, I do not want a "big tent" party if it means the party candidates do not have to stick to the party platform. 
      February 19, 2023 9:10 AM MST

But you need to realize that Trump drove out people who do support those policies and ideals. People like my brother, who put on a uniform and did duty for his country and may be more conservative than you. Wasn’t his fault that you didn’t like some of the nominees.
      February 19, 2023 9:42 AM MST

Not to be rude but someone who actually supports those policies could not allow themselves to vote for Biden. They could skip voting or vote 3rd party (Libertarian is the standard protest vote that registers to the GOP the candidate was bad)   

I vote policy. The only vote I regret was when I did not vote for a candidate who checked all my policy boxes but said something really stupid. So I voted 3rd party and my state was stuck with Claire McCaskill for 12yrs as our Senator. I decided then never again. 
    This post was edited by my2cents at February 21, 2023 4:18 AM MST
      February 19, 2023 6:08 PM MST

He voted third party in 2016 but for Biden in 2020 because he believed the country had business to get Trump out of power. He left the GOP because he believed the party had business to prevent Trump from being nominated in the first place. His beliefs come from principle and integrity, not politics.
      February 19, 2023 7:07 PM MST

It is not "the party" who should stop/pick the nominee. It is the voters who are (should be) in charge of that decision.  

Again to me it is policy, personality means nothing. Someone who will cave on their policy is no good to me. 
      February 21, 2023 4:08 AM MST

to be fair I think everyone should have a guillotine 
      February 15, 2023 11:51 PM MST

I'll make you one.
      February 17, 2023 12:45 PM MST

I'm all for it so long as Trump gives it the test run to make sure it works.
      February 16, 2023 8:05 AM MST

Yeah but they would have to find a extra large basket for his over sized head. Cheers and happy weekend!
      February 17, 2023 3:46 PM MST

No problem - I'm sure it will fit into a dumpster.
      February 18, 2023 9:38 AM MST

That would be a good solution. But being an animal lover I have to wonder what that could do to the rat population.  If a rat got into the dumpster and saw Trump's ugly mug it could  traumatize the rat for life. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at February 19, 2023 8:34 AM MST
      February 18, 2023 11:52 AM MST

I'm willing to take that chance.
      February 19, 2023 8:34 AM MST

I'm against the death penalty by any utensil.

I find it wrong for the government to kill people to show people that killing people is wrong. 
      February 17, 2023 12:47 PM MST

And a jury can get it wrong. The last man to be executed in Australia, Ron Ryan, was later proven innocent of the murder he was hanged for.
      February 17, 2023 4:40 PM MST

Statistics show a surprisingly high incidence of wrongful executions.
      February 17, 2023 8:08 PM MST

Yes, good point. There's that, too.
      February 18, 2023 12:23 AM MST

To me, that’s one of the main reasons to oppose it.
      February 19, 2023 7:34 AM MST

Very true.
    I'll even go so far to say that I believe that, in an organized judicial system, even if there is no doubt someone is a killer, I do not think it is correct for "us" to give the killer the death penalty. Two wrongs do not make a right to me.

But your point is huge, for sure.

(I read a lot of true crime things, and more than once, even a victim's family member can sometimes truly forgive the killer and do not wish severe punishment for the killer. Sometimes they even get to know each other. People can be amazing.)
      February 20, 2023 8:32 AM MST