Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Do you or have you ever meditated? Was it helpful?

Do you or have you ever meditated? Was it helpful?

This is an excerpt from this article https://www.sciencealert.com/meditation-and-mindfulness-have-a-dark-side-that-we-dont-talk-about

Posted - July 25

Responses

A very wise man once said - Free your mind and your a** will follow. And that wise man was the lead singer of the musical group – Funkadelic. I always thought meditation would be good for the mind and body and never coincided it could have negative effects. Cheers!

July 25, 2024 10:10 AM MDT

I was surprised too. The article made me glad I was never successful when I tried it.
      July 25, 2024 7:37 PM MDT

Depends on what kind of meditation you're referring to (there are many kinds) -

Eastern religion style meditation - no (mumbo-jumbo to me).  
    Breathing meditation - yes (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

July 25, 2024 12:18 PM MDT

I've done a kind of breathing meditation; your description matches my experiences.

July 25, 2024 1:59 PM MDT

This article just refers to meditation,  but seems to equate it with mindfulness. Considering the popularity of meditation, it was unnerving to read about a study that found that it can cause mood disorders. 
      July 25, 2024 7:40 PM MDT

There seem to be varying ideas of what meditation even is, or what it's supposed to be. If it just means letting go of one's thoughts, then yes--my bathroom time is very important to me.
      July 25, 2024 1:49 PM MDT

Excellent.

Yes, the varying kinds I've read about/etc.  -- uh, yeah, they vary.  :)

Yes, letting go of many of my thoughts is often very good for me.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 26, 2024 7:37 AM MDT
      July 25, 2024 2:00 PM MDT

Ah, a mult-tasker!
      July 25, 2024 7:41 PM MDT

This is very interesting for me to hear, especially since I have dealt/deal with anxiety and depression.

I've been feeling down (in a very general way; but I'm very much, overall, fine) but I think there may be other reasons along with my GAD.
    But I have read about and tried varying kinds of mindfulness and have found it helpful.

And simply stopping myself --  and concentrating on big deep slow  breaths, inhale - -hold it and then exhale - - doing that about ten times in a row almost always settles, at least a bit, my at-the-moment anxiousness.
      July 25, 2024 2:10 PM MDT

It seems to me that this article is more about a commercialized idea of meditation--what the writer of McMindfulness calls "capitalist spirituality." Pretty big business. Your individual approach I think is the positive way to do it!
      July 25, 2024 5:32 PM MDT

Cool.  :)
      July 25, 2024 5:42 PM MDT

Yes, breathing exercises are helpful. I've had good luck with 4 4 4 4 breathing, which is similar.  I also remind myself that it's just my body producing too many stress hormones, not some mental weakness. I try to do something physical that uses up that excess adrenaline when I can.
      July 25, 2024 7:49 PM MDT

Yes, thanks.

I, too, do lots of exercising. A huge help to me anxiety-wise.
    Or I do something physical to simply distract my thoughts. 
      July 26, 2024 6:00 AM MDT

I tried once, but Icouldn’t I couldn’t concentrate fully because I was constantly distracted by thoughts of various schemes to get into Minneapolis without the authorities catching me and kicking me out. Grrrrrr.

~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 26, 2024 7:34 AM MDT
      July 25, 2024 8:45 PM MDT

Have you tried wearing special clothing? 

July 25, 2024 9:14 PM MDT

How did you know that’s how they package me up when they ship me out of there? You’re not involved in that process in any way, are you? No, I doubt you’d treat me like that. You wouldn’t do anything sneaky and underhanded to your Cuddly Buddly Randy McRandy, right? Right? Hello, Jane? You don’t have anything to do with it, please tell me you don’t. Jane?

~

July 26, 2024 7:33 AM MDT

Icouldn't I couldn't.

It's been too long! Have both you and Stu stopped performing this classic routine?
      July 26, 2024 4:36 AM MDT

July 26, 2024 7:27 AM MDT

I have, and my better half does it regularly - rather than causing anxiety and depression, it helps her to control it. Part of her treatment as the SSRI blockers aren't enough on their own. The psychosis and delusional episodes are rare now, before she started meditation they were comparatively frequent. Worryingly so.
      July 26, 2024 3:34 AM MDT

I'm glad to hear it's helping. Every treatment can have side effects,  but it doesn't mean they are inevitable. 
      July 26, 2024 5:38 AM MDT

I am familiar with meditation, hypnotism, and trancing. I have never tried to enter any altered state of consciousness but I have been altered without permission.  It took me a long time to figure out that that was what happened to me.   I don't recommend playing with this.  While chanting can be, but is not a necessary part of it, I have found chanting to be a great way to ready myself for prayer.  I am not weak minded which tells me everything I need to know about how easy it can be for an experienced hypnotist to alter someone in his presence, or even on the telephone, as well as him/herself. 

Be safe and if things feel weird, leave.  Don't hang around out of curiosity.  If you are curious, read about it.
      July 26, 2024 9:38 PM MDT

Is that t in meditated a c actually? I was having the time of my life meditating so I thought I could guild the lily by medicating. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at July 28, 2024 7:50 PM MDT
      July 28, 2024 7:44 PM MDT