Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » Have you ever had a dream about grammar? If so, details, I want details! ~

Have you ever had a dream about grammar? If so, details, I want details! ~

If not, have you ever had a dream about me dreaming about grammar?

Posted - February 24, 2018

Responses

I'll admit it, I had a dream about you once.  

I was beating you with a ~ and I was yelling ,,¡Es una virgulilla!''

Yeah, so that's the only dream I ever had about you or grammar and it was about Spanish grammar.

February 25, 2018 12:18 AM MST

¡Olé!

(In the dream, who paid whom for that kinky beating?)
    ~
      February 25, 2018 4:56 AM MST

Nope, my grammar died when I was a toddler.
      February 25, 2018 12:24 AM MST

Wow, no one has ever asked me that before.  Yes, I have had dreams about grammar to be perfectly _________ (fill in the blank) with you.

Reflexive pronouns in French that are not reflexive in english come to mind. So much to memorize,
    I do it in my dreams. 

This post was edited by Sunshine at February 25, 2018 4:04 AM MST
      February 25, 2018 4:04 AM MST

Seems to me I remember a Mickey Mouse cartoon made in the 1930s that featured Mickey being chased around by music or punctuation symbols. 
      February 25, 2018 5:31 AM MST

No dreams, but I collect things like this:
    This exceeding trifling witling, considering ranting criticizing concerning adopting fitting wording being exhibiting transcending learning, was displaying, notwithstanding ridiculing, surpassing boasting swelling reasoning, respecting correcting erring writing, and touching detecting deceiving arguing during debating.
    ~ Goold Brown (1851)

This sentence takes advantage of the versatile English –ing. The author of a 19th century grammar guide lamented the fact that one could "run to great excess" in the use of –ing participles "without violating any rule of our common grammars," and constructed this sentence to prove it. It doesn't seem so complicated once you realize it means,

"This very superficial grammatist, supposing empty criticism about the adoption of proper phraseology to be a show of extraordinary erudition, was displaying, in spite of ridicule, a very boastful turgid argument concerning the correction of false syntax, and about the detection of false logic in debate."

Not only is this a great example of the wonderful crazy things you can do within the bounds of proper English, it's the perfect response to pull out the next time someone tries to criticize your grammar.

https://mentalfloss.com/article/49238/7-sentences-sound-crazy-are-still-grammatical
      February 25, 2018 5:44 AM MST

And here is this again:

February 25, 2018 5:46 AM MST

not yet
      February 25, 2018 2:53 PM MST

Oh, my yes.  There was this incredibly and sexy and talented tilde I once knew who fulfilled even my wildest fantasies....

(Sorry, I can't go on....it was wonderful, but also painful.)
      February 25, 2018 2:57 PM MST

I had one of those once. I escaped.
      February 25, 2018 7:43 PM MST