Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you ever wonder about people? For example... how easily or otherwise it is to corrupt people... what would it take to corrupt you?

Do you ever wonder about people? For example... how easily or otherwise it is to corrupt people... what would it take to corrupt you?

Are you corruptable? Would you sell out a friend for $300,000 dollars? What if you were threatened and felt you had no choice but to accept a corrupt offer? Would you tell a lie in court to save yourself or your family? 

Posted - September 6, 2018

Responses

sonnetinnes and i try to stay away fronn people like that
      September 6, 2018 2:23 PM MDT

Nothing.....I was corrupted many years ago and I rarely double charge....:)D This post was edited by Nice Jugs at September 7, 2018 9:21 AM MDT
      September 6, 2018 2:28 PM MDT

Well I hope they gave you lots of money or lots of nice things in return :P
      September 6, 2018 3:12 PM MDT

Discharge is not always exceptable....lol 
      September 6, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

I strive to be honest and moral in everything I do. 
      September 6, 2018 3:28 PM MDT

And I do too... I like to think that nothing would make me betray someone or not do the right thing.. But I wonder.... am I kidding myself.. are we all corruptable and it merely depends on how much we are offered or how much we are threatened?
      September 6, 2018 3:47 PM MDT

Everyone is corruptible.  Everyone has a "price".  It doesn't have to be money.  Whatever we desire most is where we've most vulnerable to becoming corrupted (e.g. power, fame, acceptance)
      September 6, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

You are right... but you know what? It makes me sad :(
      September 6, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

I think about people all the time but it's never about if I could corrupt them - it's things like what they do for a living or if I can take them in a fair fight or a million other things. I like to think there is no amount of money that could turn me corrupt but torture might do it ( I can be a baby when it comes to pain and would probably do anything to get it to stop). Cheers! 
      September 6, 2018 3:46 PM MDT

Good answer. I wonder if we are all more easily corruptable than we think.. I am ever so moral, (my morals rather than imposed ones) but am I being sanctimonious.. holier than thou.. maybe if I were being pressured, maybe if it meant avoiding a prison sentence, or a death sentence... maybe if it meant my family could live in comfort...  I like to think I'd hold out - money isn't my motivator... but I wonder...maybe we all have our price
      September 6, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

Ya we all have a kryptonite or a skeleton or 2 in our closets and if a villain or dictator finds a persons kryptonite or skeleton they will use it in a heart beat to make sure you become corrupt. Cheers! 
      September 6, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

Everyone is corruptible. We’re all human. Everyone has a price or level to become corrupt. The most common examples are politicians, lawyers, and sales people working on commission. Some people are easier to corrupt than others. This post was edited by Rizz at September 9, 2018 8:39 AM MDT
      September 6, 2018 4:41 PM MDT

If I was ever threatened, all I have to do is tell my S/O.  He would take care of it.  

There is "always" a choice and my choice is to do the moral thing. 
    This post was edited by Sunshine at September 9, 2018 7:01 AM MDT
      September 6, 2018 5:14 PM MDT

I've never been in a position in which anyone has tried to corrupt me, so it's hard to imagine.

I think I'd have too hard a time trying to live with my conscience and how that bribe affects the lives of others.

If it was with threats I'd show fear and agree instantly, but I'd record it, take the evidence to the police,
    and then make myself scarce and untraceable.
      September 6, 2018 6:57 PM MDT

Lots of questions here.I’ll have a go at each one:

1) Yes, all the time. People are endlessly fascinating.
    2) Make me an offer. 
    3) Yes, I probably am, given the right deal (see #4)
    4) No; I wouldn’t care to explain $300k to the IRS. No enemy is worth that headache. If they’re worth selling out, I’d do it for a steak dinner. 
    5) You’re talking about extortion. Been there, bought the shot glass. I call my attorney for guidance. 
    6) No, and I wouldn’t have to. Here in the US, we have the Fifth Amendment to protect us from self-incrimination. Lying in court is a really bad idea. 

There ya go.  Good questions, ADDB. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 9, 2018 7:02 AM MDT
      September 6, 2018 7:54 PM MDT

It's not betrayal if they know I'll turn against them, for enough money.  LOL

It's not corruption if it's under duress.

And all my friends/family know I won't cover for them.
    I'm not putting my head on the chopping block, to save theirs.
      September 7, 2018 8:17 AM MDT

Human nature being what it is, I believe if the circumstances are right, we are all corruptible  Would I sell out a friend for $300K - no.  If a family member or a friend had done something grievously wrong, I wouldn't protect them.  
      September 7, 2018 9:29 AM MDT