Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What’s the worst job you’ve had?

What’s the worst job you’ve had?

I’ve only had two my entire life. My first job was at a grocery store and I started working at the prison shortly after I turned 22. Neither job is horrible. I didnt dislike the grocery store and I don’t dislike being a corrections officer. I’ll be glad to retire when I turn fifty. 

Posted - October 7, 2018

Responses

I've never had a worse job...I've only had one other than working with my dad   :) This post was edited by Nice Jugs at October 7, 2018 5:49 PM MDT
      October 7, 2018 4:20 PM MDT

the ones i lose for dunnb reasons
      October 7, 2018 4:21 PM MDT

Pumping gas. It got so cold I joined the Navy.
      October 7, 2018 4:23 PM MDT

That job is almost extinct these days. I don’t mind the cold. I hate the heat. 
      October 7, 2018 4:27 PM MDT

I was 18. I hated the cold, but liked the heat. Now I don't like either. It's amazing how one can change in 50 years.
      October 7, 2018 4:33 PM MDT

When I was younger neither bothered me. Since I had severe heat exhaustion and almost a heat stroke I can’t tolerate the heat. 
      October 7, 2018 4:34 PM MDT

Working at McDonald's.
      October 7, 2018 4:25 PM MDT

I could only imagine. I notice McDonald’s seems to attract the angry and crazy customers. 
      October 7, 2018 4:27 PM MDT

Worse than that. I was the cleanup guy.
      October 7, 2018 4:38 PM MDT

Oh man. That would suck. 
      October 7, 2018 4:55 PM MDT

Mc Donalds near my location got bad reviews on yelp
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/mcdonalds-torrance-7
      October 8, 2018 11:12 AM MDT

None of the jobs I've done were bad.  The management, yes, the hours and work schedule definitely, but not the job itself.  
      October 7, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

• "Delivering newspapers for the Los Angeles Times."  I delivered 750 papers, rain or shine, every morning out of the back of my El Camino. (S/O drove)
      October 7, 2018 5:33 PM MDT

That sounds horrible. I imagine it didn’t pay worth a darn either. 
      October 7, 2018 5:34 PM MDT

• Right again!  Every time I'd start showing a little profit, the clutch or the brakes would need replacing.  Automobiles aren't made to carry that much extra weight.
      October 7, 2018 5:45 PM MDT

I've had no worst job.

But I got fired in my first two weeks working at a root beer stand. I simply am not cut out for the fast food career. I tried really hard but I'd get flustered, trying too hard when a "rush" would happen.

I admire the he** out of people able to work in the fast food market. I really don't understand why some people sometimes look down on that job. 
      October 7, 2018 5:53 PM MDT

• Working directly with the public is not as easy as it sounds.  :))
      October 7, 2018 5:55 PM MDT

Agreed. 
    Everything I just posted under Rizz's reply - - I could have added here for you, too.
    :)
      October 7, 2018 6:28 PM MDT

I agree. I don’t look down on them. I don’t understand why anyone over 22 years old would work fast food. They don’t pay you worth a darn to begin with. Most, if not all don’t have sick leave or vacation leave. You put up with rude and stupid people all day. When fast food places are busy it can be hectic. I also admire people who work retail and any service industry job. People are so rude and hateful. I witness too many instances of people working retail being verbally abused. The worst part is most aren’t paid well while these companies makes billions of dollars in profit. This post was edited by Rizz at October 7, 2018 6:30 PM MDT
      October 7, 2018 6:00 PM MDT

You make good points.

Yes, that whole matter of working with people who can be awfully rude, boy, oh, boy. I get irritated when I see that happen to workers how don't deserve that treatment. I'm then extra nice to those workers. (But I'm friendly with workers -- it would take a lot for me to ever get angry in such situations.)

In my root beer stand position, I didn't even have to work directly with the public --  I was just preparing food and drinks. But, wow, I really sucked at it! Ha! Even the managers laughed good-naturedly at me because the mistakes I made were truly funny. My getting fired was not a surprise to me and the managers were very nice about their decision.

What's "retrial"? Sounds tough whatever it is.
      October 7, 2018 6:27 PM MDT

*Facepalm*

Thank you for politely pointing out my typo whether it was intentional or not. I meant retail. My stupid iPad makes stupid autocorrections. I didn’t catch that one. 
      October 7, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

Oh, wow!
    Nope - - I truly thought you meant 'retrial'!
    :)

Retail -- yes, that's another job that would have its own set of challenges for sure!
      October 7, 2018 6:49 PM MDT

Working in a Punch press factory. Cheers!
      October 7, 2018 6:49 PM MDT

For 3 years, I worked in a commercial laundry that did hospitals. It was gross due to all the s--t, p-ss, and puke. There was a guy there who specialized in washing the REALLY BAD LINENS. His machine ran red all the time. Sometimes we found afterbirths and skin scrapings. One guy grabbed a syringe that stuck him. One good thing ----- you got to keep the money you found.  Before that job I was offered a maintenance position with the Highway Patrol, but turned it down because I didn't like the idea of coming in at 4a.m. to shovel snow. I could be retired now!
      October 7, 2018 6:55 PM MDT