Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » History » What do you miss about the 'good old days'?

What do you miss about the 'good old days'?

Posted - January 3, 2020

Responses

People were more civil to one another, children were raised with manners to be respectful, technology is great, but is had made people less socialized, children are suffering from obesity because they sit in front of their computers or on their phones and don't go out and play.  Life seemed simpler back when I was a kid.
      January 3, 2020 1:16 PM MST

17 cent per gallon gasoline.  The distant moan of a solitary Yamaha two stroke twin motorcycle in the deepest, darkest hours before the dawn. 
      January 3, 2020 2:59 PM MST

'Everything' was made in USA,  when I was a kid I used to wonder 'don't they make anything in Canada'?  Now 'everything' is made in China -that's ten times worse. Quality wise.
      January 3, 2020 4:37 PM MST

The energy and strength I had.

I enjoyed the absence of mobile phones,
    more personal privacy, not having people being resentful if they can't contact you instantly.

I liked that there was a ridiculous innocence - but looking back, it was naïve.
    We (my social milieu) believed we could save the world
    by alerting it to the dangers of global warming,
    and by choosing to live a green life.
    We had no idea how powerful the forces of denial would be.

January 3, 2020 4:38 PM MST

In my life, the good old days seem to come and vanish each year.  People I love are all dead, people I meet at work leave, it's a constant canvass of time passing me by.   I have to stay detached, because it is heartbreaking to leave each soul or be left by them.  I know I have a heart and deep feelings, because I care about each one.  

I liked the feeling that nothing could harm me.  I have not felt that since I left Northlake when I was 46.  
      January 3, 2020 5:57 PM MST

It's true.
    When we reach a certain age our parents die.
    Some of our friends and former lovers die.
    People change and move away; distance slowly eats away the relationships.
    Yet we need to keep on loving because this is what keeps us resilient and sane.
    We need to maintain an open heart, let new people in,
    not close down in fear of loss and pain.
    I like your brave heart, Sharona.
      January 3, 2020 6:15 PM MST

Trump is still alive, and he loves you too!
      January 4, 2020 11:50 AM MST

Edith Bunker

:)

As a younger-ish child when I first saw this show, i was immediately drawn to Edith. Even as a younger-ish boy, I found her as an incredibly strong and truly loving person. As an adult, my admiration for her has only increased.

I answered your question with Edith because your question reminded me of "All in the Family" ' s opening theme.

EDIT: Woops-- I see this clip includes the opening to "Archie Bunker's Place," too :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 4, 2020 6:42 PM MST
      January 3, 2020 8:02 PM MST

I liked George Jefferson - I used to do a George Jefferson walk when I went through the bad part of town and no one would mess with me. Cheers and happy first weekend of the New Year! 
      January 3, 2020 8:37 PM MST

And a happy first weekend to you, too!

January 3, 2020 9:17 PM MST

Strange.....I like Jim Jefferson.....he's an Australian from OZ down under....:) 
    Its no joke this time.....:) 
      January 3, 2020 9:30 PM MST

Before the internet and cell phones, not only was it possible to be 100% unreachable for many hours at a time or even many days or weeks at a time, it was equally possible that others had no expectations of you being reachable. 

~
      January 3, 2020 9:00 PM MST

Everything.
      January 3, 2020 9:20 PM MST