Zack
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Have you ever considered or thought about moving to a foreign country? What were your reasons?

Have you ever considered or thought about moving to a foreign country? What were your reasons?

My cousin David moved to Argentina.  My uncle-in-law moved to Germany.  They never met each other, but they both moved abroad for same reason.  They both wanted to get away from their mothers.  They actually said that.

Posted - October 1

• 11855
    I grew up around the corner from the Hotel St George in Brooklyn Heights.

October 3, 2022 1:52 PM MDT
    2

• 15511
    The second guy is full of it, there are zero similarities between the NY accents (plural) and South London (which is also not an accent per se, almost every street in London has its own dialect - just ask Professor Higgins). If I had to pick a foreign influence, it's more Irish than English.
      November 8, 2022 3:42 PM MST
    1

• 11855
    Also Italian. The vast majority of Caucasian New Yorkers are of Italian, Irish, and eastern European (Ashkenazi) Jewish descent.
      November 8, 2022 3:46 PM MST
    1

• 2177
    I have tried to get jobs in Canada and Bermuda, in the belief that it might possibly advance my career. 
      October 3, 2022 10:24 AM MDT
    4

• 2177
    My cousin moved to the USA as soon she could to get away from her dad. The poor widower did not have a clue about bringing up two daughters. 
      October 3, 2022 10:28 AM MDT
    4

• 4757

That’s the case with my cousin and my uncle-in-law with the sexes reversed.  I’m curious, how did she describe her dad?  In the case with my family members, the moms drove away their sons by being domineering and overbearing.  Was it the same or something else for your cousin?

The ex-wife my uncle-in-law who moved to Germany moved to the United States.  They got divorced because he was an American who wanted to be a European and she was a European who wanted to be an American.

This post was edited by Livvie at October 7, 2022 9:35 PM MDT
      October 3, 2022 11:33 AM MDT
    3

• 50820

Some countries do not have very good sub-basements, or due to infrastructure, don’t have very good opportunities for installation of same. I doubt I’d be completely comfortable in any environment that failed to offer the entire range of amenities to which I have grown accustomed, and upon which I’ve become dependent. (Grrrrrrr.)

~

October 3, 2022 12:55 PM MDT
    1

• 4757
    I think you should stay put in San Diego.  I just bought a unit in a high-rise condo in Tijuana.  The condo’s right on the border and I’m on the top floor.  My unit faces north.  I also have a high-powered telescope on my balcony.  I have a great view from up here.

Hey, you’ve been in and out of your garage twice in the last fifteen minutes.  What’s in that garbage bag?  It looks like it’s kind of heavy.

This post was edited by Livvie at October 7, 2022 9:36 PM MDT
      October 3, 2022 8:10 PM MDT
    2

• 50820

Those those are all the rejected sandwiches that were found to have been tainted with Vegemite, guacamole, or mayonnaise. Saboteurs have infiltrated my domain. Grrrrrrr. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at October 7, 2022 9:36 PM MDT
      October 3, 2022 9:53 PM MDT
    2

• 4757
    You should really do composting.  It’s better for the environment.  Just burying them in that pit in your backyard’s not going to do any good.
      October 3, 2022 9:55 PM MDT
    2

• 50820

Hey! You’re not supposed to be watching me! Grrrrrrrr. 

~

October 4, 2022 12:04 AM MDT
    2

• 9390

During the North American auto crises in the 80's or 90's the wife and I were going to sail with the Valandyhames to New Zealand and start a new life. The reason was because I thought Canada and the US was going to fall into a deep depression and I pointed my finger of blame at the Unions. We were a couple of weeks away from setting sail and I changed my mind for a couple of reasons - I didn't think it right to turn my back on my Country and I got a look at the Valandyhames boat. It was a Tetanus shot waiting to happen because it was so rusty. Cheers!

October 3, 2022 8:48 PM MDT
    2

• 4757
    An ocean adventure sounds like fun, even if it’s on a rusty old boat.  I’ve never been to British Columbia (would like to), but it makes me dream about sailing in the ocean just off the coast while listening to 80s music.  That’s because even though I live in South Dakota, the radio I have on my kitchen counter picked up a radio station from there once.  It was Ocean 98.5 and they played 80s music. This post was edited by Livvie at October 7, 2022 7:44 AM MDT
      October 3, 2022 9:10 PM MDT
    1

• 691
    I never considered it. Patagonia has a secessionist movement. That will never happen. I've thought about what if that would happen. My brother and I would live in a country other than the country of our birth. 
      October 7, 2022 1:10 AM MDT
    2